Although the bitter cold and snowy days may deceive you, it’s true that the spring real estate market has begun!
And…spring is one of the busiest times for real estate. The market slows down through the holidays and winter months, and picks up heavily into February and March. There may be buyers on the market during the slow months, but there is also a lack of inventory to select from. Buyers in the spring are usually pretty SERIOUS buyers. If you are interested in getting the most money in the shortest amount of time possible, now is a great time to sell.
But, don’t be the homeowner who waits until the flowers bloom to put your house on the market.
You can start preparing today by doing a few things:
1. Get a home value analysis- Know how your home compares to the others in the market. There are many different sites that offer FREE home value analysis reports. Knowing how much money you can get for your home in its current condition is important. It is also smart to get an idea of your home’s value in the beginning. After receiving the report, you can make the necessary changes that you may need to increase your market value. We offer a free home value analysis: http://www.ericksonteamhomesearch.com/sell/
2. Start packing- This sounds crazy, right? Well, it actually can help get you more organized and create a home that is less cluttered. Sort through storage areas, the garage, or the basement that have not been touched all winter long. You can also start to pack away personalized items in your home that you should not have out when selling. Depersonalizing a home makes it easier for a potential buyer to see themselves living there. Packing up, can make your home look larger and neater, and will make the moving process much simpler in the end!
3. Make minor, but IMPORTANT repairs- You do not want to start renovating a kitchen or bathroom right now, but making minor repairs can go a long way. Freshening up some rooms with a fresh coat of neutral paint is always a good idea. Replace caulk and grout in the bathrooms and kitchen to leave a clean feeling. Update small fixtures throughout your home (lights, doorknobs, hardware, fixtures).
4. Start interviewing REALTORS®- Having the right listing agent can save you a lot of stress and time. You will realize that having the right agent for your specific needs can be extremely important for your end profit goal. Interview multiple agents (you are hiring them)! Lastly, choose a REALTOR® who is familiar with the area, the style of your home and the price range you are in.
5. Start looking for a new home (if you will need one)- Do you need to sell before you buy? Can you afford to buy a new home, and empty out or stage the house you are selling? Just starting to look and becoming familiar with what else is out there in the market is a great idea. By knowing what you are looking for, it makes the buying process much easier when the timing is right. Having an educated agent is extremely important for buying as well as selling. Make sure you can find a REALTOR® who listens to you, and what YOU want and need.
So, if you are thinking of selling your home and making that move, but the market was not quite right, NOW is the time! If you are interested in talking with a professional real estate team, give us a call today! 651-269-3487 or Sandy@SandyErickson.com
Sandy Erickson Real Estate Team of Keller Williams Integrity Realty